It’s that time of year again. Summer is giving way to fall, and the colors will soon be changing. Your yard and garden will be changing too.
Before the cold weather sets in, why not take steps now to make sure your home is ready for old man Winter?
If you need help with any of this, call Rent A Son: (208) 303-0617 (be sure to use the area code). Quotes and advice are always free. We are here to help you, not fleece you.
Fall and Winter Prep Suggestions (call Rent A Son, if you need help)
- You will soon want to winterize your lawn sprinkler system. To ignore this simple project is to invite disaster when freezing weather sets in.
- Get out the caulk gun (or contact Rent A Son) and seal everything that needs sealed.
- Do you final landscaping. Prune as needed. Take care of any dangerous trees that could fall or shrubs that may become brittle and scratch your siding.
- Feed your lawn, aerate it, and store the mower properly. Perform fall lawn maintenance.
- Give the home a close outer inspection, from the roof to the basement. Look for breaches and damage. It is much easier and less expensive to fix what you find now … than to wait until winter weather creates an emergency
- Take care of bug and rodent populations. If you aren’t sure how, call Rent A Son.
- Clean out the garage. You are going to need it:)
Where to send that extra food from the garden
Call Rent A Son. Okay, just kidding. (But, just in case: (208) 303-0617 (be sure to use the area code.)
It’s time to put by all that great food your garden produced. What, no garden? You may still be able to find great buys on fresh, local produce. Buy a bunch — then can it, freeze it, dry it … whatever you do, don’t let it go to waste.
You don’t have to go to chef school to make homegrown food taste good. (If you want to, though, I hear there are training opportunities available at some of our best local restaurants.
One of our local farms has some new banners up to promote U-Pick — which reminds me, if you use a flag pole to display Old Glory, now is the time to lubricate the pulleys. That can really save trouble. Rusted pulleys tend stick and can even break the lanyard.
Be sure to till your garden good and plant a cover crop for the winter.
And don’t forget to make sure your vehicles have the proper solution of antifreeze in them. By doing a good job of preparation now, you drastically improve the chances you will make it through the winter without maintenance surprises.
And remember — when that driveway is snowed in, the walkway needs shoveled, and ice is making it downright dangerous to get around in Idaho Falls or Ammon … just call Rent A Son.
Why hire a stranger, when you can Rent A Son?